Wellness Tips, Clean & Healthy Recipes, Inspirations, Lifestyle, Nutrition + More
Looking for a healthy Reuben? Try Roberto Martin’s vegan version.
Avocado Reuben Sandwich
- 4 slices good quality rye bread
- Thousand Island dressing (see below) or store-bought vegan dressing, as needed
- 1 firm avocado, halved, pitted, removed from the skin, and thinly sliced
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup sauerkraut or good quality store-bought, drained
- 1 firm tomato, thinly sliced and patted dry with paper towels
Lightly toast the bread and spread all 4 slices with the dressing. Distribute the avocado slices evenly on 2 slices of the bread. Season the avocado with salt and pepper. Spread an even amount of the sauerkraut over the avocado and top with 2 to 3 slices of tomato. Top the sandwiches with the remaining bread slices and cut each sandwich, corner to corner, with a sharp knife. Serve with additional dressing on the side.
Thousand Island Dressing
- 1 1/2 cups vegan mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 4 medium dill pickles, finely minced or chopped in a food processor
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Mix the first 4 ingredients in a medium bowl and season to taste with salt and pepper. Use immediately or store in tightly sealed container and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
Makes 2 1/4 cups.
Be sure to get your greens in too and serve with a side salad.